Tuesday, October 24, 2017

SOLVED: Outlook for mac "outlook can't upgrade your database"

An actual solution to fix the outlook database.
Error: Outlook can't upgrade your database.

Problem: Like a lot of you, I ran into this issue at the worst time possible. I had applied an update to the Office Suite to fix an Excel issue and broke Outlook... My client then tells me she is leaving out of town tomorrow and needs this machine to be working with all her emails accessible by the morning. 

No problem, I set up the account again in a new profile and were good, right? No. 

"Where are all the folders that were On My Mac!??" she says with a panic in her voice. 

I create another new profile and import the one that won't upgrade. The import process goes well and emails and accounts show up but still no "On My Mac" folders recovered. 

Time Machine! I knew time machine would work! 
Enter time machine and restore the profile from last week. Set it as default and try to open; No luck. "Outlook Can't upgrade your database". Back to square one. 

I finally came across a small post on SpiceWorks with someone who actually fixed the issue by forcing outlook to rebuild the database, I will show you how to do this today. 

Solution: The fix is unfortunately quite simple. Go to where the mail database is stored, 
~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile/Data (on mac) and delete or simply move the "Outlook.sqllite" file. Always have backups first. 



Now, assuming you have not changed your default profile, simply open outlook and you should be prompted that there is a problem and outlook needs to rebuild. If you did change your profile, change it back to 'Main Profile'.

This can take a while, mine took ~1hr. After it was done outlook launched and asked to download a bunch of fonts. After downloading, all the accounts and emails were recovered and the "on my mac" section had all the emails and folders the user had setup.

This fix worked for me, I hope it can work for some of you!

Reference: michaelhof : https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1274738-office-2016-for-mac-manual-database-identity-rebuild  

No comments:

Post a Comment